Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Send message from Forms to Lantronix network device (Oracle Forms 10g)
Send message from Forms to Lantronix network device [message #523139] Thu, 15 September 2011 14:45 Go to next message
OraDog
Forms Gurus,

Does anyone know if or how I can send a message from Oracle Forms 10g to a Lantronix terminal server? It is a TCP/IP front end to a serial port controlling a warehouse carousel. We want to send a command string to a ip_address:port_number in raw mode. We have tested it using a telnet session. I develop in PL/SQL, just never used forms.

Thanks,
OraDog
Re: Send message from Forms to Lantronix network device [message #523187 is a reply to message #523139] Fri, 16 September 2011 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
If you know how to do that using PL/SQL, there are two options I can think of: the first one is to create a stored procedure (with certain parameters, I suppose). You'd then call that procedure from a form (for example, through a push button) and pass form item's values to your procedure. It would then send a message.

In this case, a form doesn't have to be state of the art. Wizard would most probably be smart enough to create a "dummy" form, used as an interface to an end user (so you don't have to be a Forms expert).

Another option, which might (or might not) work, is to create a form and include your PL/SQL procedure into form's program units. The rest would be the same - push a button, send a message. Note that not all PL/SQL code (that works on a database server) runs in Forms, as Forms' PL/SQL version is usually a step "behind" the database server's one. So, if you use certain features that are not supported in Forms' PL/SQL, you'd probably be happier with the first option.
Re: Send message from Forms to Lantronix network device [message #523662 is a reply to message #523187] Mon, 19 September 2011 12:47 Go to previous message
OraDog
Littlefoot...the thing is that I don't see how it would be done with PL/SQL...maybe a Java bean...has anyone done this before?
Previous Topic: Oracle Forms & Reports 10g with Oracle 11g database
Next Topic: Forms Builder 6i - Layout Editor Crashes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 08 23:26:03 CDT 2024